Monday, December 9, 2013

The Dance of Balance!

Hello Dancing Friends!
BRRRR!!  I hope you are staying warm.  There is much talk and articles about bringing more balance into our lives, especially this time of year.  Work and life balance, balanced nutrition, balance within relationships, balanced workout, etc.  Balance is a very personal matter and different for everyBody. For me it is a dance, and balance is ultimately a state of being where I feel in harmony with my body and my life, and includes all aspects of my being.  That is why I love my practice of Nia.  Nia is a fitness & lifestyle practice that is based on the design of our body, and our body likes balance - in fact demands it!!  How do I know this?  Besides the obvious of 2 arms, 2 legs/feet, 2 eyes, 2 ears, etc.; I can sense it in my body.  Whenever I am getting a massage and the therapists is working on one side of my body, the other side is constantly talking to me..."don't forget me!!".  When I stretch one side of my body, the other side says "Hey my turn!".  Nia knows this!  In a Nia class we incorporate movements from the Martial Arts, Dance Arts and Healing Arts, offering movement variety that creates a balance within our body, mind and spirit.   It is a dance of masculine and feminine, big and small, fast and slow, up and down, left and right, back, front and diagonal, linear and fluid, form and freedom, lose and tight, silence and sound, giving and receiving, contraction and expansion!!!  I ALWAYS leave a Nia class with the yummy sensation of every part of my body being moved in a variety of patterns, where my mind has been engaged in new and fascinating ways, and where I have been able to express my uniqueness.   I sense balance, and this creates harmony.  AHHH.

The real dance of balance happens though in life, and as I mentioned above, Nia is a lifestyle practice.  These same tools I use in class, I get to use in life.  The balance within my relationships...do I always receive more than I give, use masculine energy and not enough feminine?  What about the balance of silence and sound in my communication?  Do I always do things one way, very linear, or am I fluid and willing to release and let go?  Do I need to slow down, at work, home, while eating?  Am I tight about things in my life and need to loosen my mind, and open to the possibilities of life?  Do I get unbalanced - you better believe - and you can ask my family, friends and work relations - HA!!  And I sense this unbalance, no matter what it is, in my body.  My body reflects who I am. 

So I am choosing to stay with the dance of balance, in class and in life and I invite you to dance with me this week and every week. I have a hand mudra that I will be using to remind me of this dance.  It is called the Maatangi mudra which is a hand mudra of inner harmony.  The technique is to interlock your hands, holding your hands at navel level, and then have your 2 middle fingers (power finger) straight and touching. 
This mudra affects the hypothalamus which is a part of the brain, and the seat of the autonomous nervous system, which can establish a state of balance within the body.  Join me!!!


My classes this week:

Monday and Thursday at 5:30 pm
and Saturday at 9:30 am

at The Synergy Studio

I invite you to take this path deeper by taking the Nia White Belt Intensive.  It is 7 days dedicated to you, your body and your life.  You go deep into each one of the 13 principles of the Nia White Belt where you create a loving relationship with yourself and your body.  In this intensive you learn tools for managing stress, enhancing your relationships,  and creating a work/life balance. I invite you to explore techniques using your body, voice, intent, mind, emotions and unique spirit to master getting into and living in your body.  Empower yourself, open up to your potential and step into your greatness! Check out my trainings at: www.nianow.com/joanie and click on "My Trainings".

Love & Light,
Joanie Brooks,
http://www.joaniebrooks.me/
Nia Training Faculty, Nia White Belt Trainer



Nia 5 Stages of Healing Facilitator, Journey Dance Guide, Mindful Change Coach and Laughter Yoga Leader

Go to my link & get 40% off of Nia clothing, music & much more!!  Look for the 40% off purple button:  http://nianow.com/joanie
Nia - Somatic Education for EveryBody.  Nia is an expressive movement form & lifestyle practice that uses The Body's Way to achieve physical, mental, emotional & spiritual fitness & well-being."   

75 trillion cells in your body…Play with them all with Nia!

No comments:

Post a Comment