Monday, April 1, 2013

Dancing Through Life Sensing our Wings!!

Good morning my Dancing Friends!
 


What a magical week of dancing and focusing on New Beginnings.  I loved how this focus "followed me" all week as it opened pathways and created sparks for others to dance and awaken their spirit to adventure; to the unknown.  Thank you to many of you who shared your new beginnings with me, and I wish you joy as you move toward your passion and dreams.  Let's all take flight this week with our new beginnings as we focus on our shoulder blades, our scapulae, our "Wings"! 

Scapula, which means blade in Latin, are 2 flat triangular bones at the back of our body that lie over the posterior surface of our rib cage. I love the the sensation of my shoulder blades as they slide and glide, and wing out, as I my move my arms up and down and around. Do this with me. Place your arms to the side of your body, palms facing out, and raise your arms up towards the sky.  Did you sense how your shoulder blades "wing" out? Now rotate your palms down and bring your arms back down towards the side of your body.  Did you sense the closing of your wings?  It's amazing - feels like I'm flying!  In order for our wings to fly freely, the muscles that support our wings (our rhomboids, trapezius, and and levator scapulae) like to be in a relaxed and ready state we call dynamic tension.  In Nia, we condition these muscles through creative arm and hand expressions, changing the direction of our palms, changing the angle of our upper arm bones, and by reaching out and touching life!
Let's fly this week!  As you dance through life and step out into a new week and your new beginnings, visualize your shoulder blades as 2 hands that lie on your back supporting you, giving you strength and confidence throughout your day.   Listen for voice that whispers "I've got your back; go ahead and take flight!"  See you in class!



My classes this week:
Monday (today) and Thursday at 5:30 pm
and Saturday at 9:30 am all at The Synergy Studio.


Learn more and go deeper into the connection with you body and your life by taking a Nia White Belt Intensive.    Sign up at http://www.nianow.com/joanie


Go to my link & get 40% off of Nia clothing, music & much more!!  Look for the 40% off purple button:  http://nianow.com/joanie


Love & Light,
Joanie Brooks,  Nia Training Faculty, Nia White Belt Trainer,
Nia 5 Stages of Healing Facilitator, Journey Dance Guide, Mindful Change Coach
http://www.joaniebrooks.me/

JOanie
 Nia - Somatic Education for EveryBody.  Nia is an expressive movement form & lifestyle practice that uses The Body's Way to achieve physical, mental, emotional & spiritual fitness & well-being."   

No comments:

Post a Comment