Monday, April 18, 2011

Duncan Dance, Free Spirited Honest Movement

I'm currently reading Done Into Dance, Isadora Duncan In America by Ann Daly, a gift to me by one of my best friends, Robbie Hudson, who introduced me to Nia.  I am having a great time reading this lovely story and learning more about Isadora, and the gift her dance form brought to the world.  Isadora Duncan lived from 1877 - 1927, a time of great change, and brought into the world a "New Dance" that liberated the body and gave expression to the soul.   Her theory of dance and her core beliefs changed forever the face of dance.  She believed dancing creates beauty (our body expressed as art), the source of our dance is from nature (her teachers were the trees and the plants), and movement should be harmonious with our body.  I just love this!!  In Nia, just like Duncan Dance, we believe everyBody should experience their body, and use dance as an opportunity to explore and discover who we are - to connect to our body, mind, spirit and emotions.  Sensation Scientists in all forms.

Duncan Dance is a wonderful compliment to Nia and is one of Nia's 9 movement forms, with the catch phrase of  "free spirited, honest movement".  Pearls that evoke the spirit and essence of Duncan Dance are:  freedom, play, rhythm, awakening, skipping, effortless, imagination, unbound, exploring, healing, soulful, creative, authentic, Universal Joy...... 

The spirit of Duncan Dance takes me back to my childhood where I find myself running, skipping and laughing with no worries, totally uninhibited!  Do you remember those times?  My sisters, brother and I would dance outside with abandonment to the music of thunder roaring on a hot Texas afternoon, wind blowing through our hair, with the anticipation of the cool rain on its way.  I love this sensation and I can still feel it in my body!


I invite you to step into a Nia class and connect to the essence of Duncan Dance energy ....dance your dance, your passion, your excitement, your beauty, your grace.  "Our Dancing Body, Our Natural Body, Our Expressive Body"...all brought to light through our dance.  I love Nia!!!  Dance with me this week at The Synergy Studio:  http://www.thesynergystudio.com/



My Playlist this week...fun, fun!
1.  Water and Fire by Pangea
2.  A Canterbury Tale by Dreadzone
3.  Journeyman by Bob Holroyd
4.  Dancing is Important by Moodswings
5.  Tantrika by Makyo
6.  Booma Lena by Baka Beyond
7.  Out of Heaven by Dreadzone
8.  Pure Essence by Maneesh DeMoor

Here is a link to the book I am reading:
http://anndalyconsulting.com/author/books/duncan/index.html


No comments:

Post a Comment