Sunday, April 17, 2011

I am a Sensation Scientist - Exploring all my Connections Inside!!

Connective tissue largely defines the shape of my body. Everything in our body is connected through a continuous network of connective tissue from our head to our toes. I love the sensation of this and knowing that through all of my movement I am continually conditioning my connective tissue and shaping my body for what she needs in the NOW. My NOW body. It is not static, it is dynamic and is internally supported by a connective system that is fluid, allowing my body to mold and fold, sending messages to my brain in the form of pain and pleasure. I like to visualize my connective tissue as this beautiful piece of fabric that weaves within my body, surrounding my organs, bones, muscles and cells with a protective covering that makes me feel loved and safe. As Linda Hartley in Wisdom of the Body Moving so eloquently states: “When we move in the spaces between the organs, bones, muscles, blood vessels, or cells, we are moving through the connective tissue sheaths. This movement is sensual, internal, flowing, and elastic, like the luxurious stretching of a cat. It flows on and on, rebounds and flows again. It gives vital support to the integrity of the whole in both movement and stillness.”(page 289). heart

I was brought into a heightened state of awareness of my connective tissue and her role in my body’s shape a year into my healing from a cervical spine surgery that was brought on by an accident. Focused on my healing of my neck and head, I didn’t notice the imbalance on the left side of my body, that was also a result of the accident, until the tension manifested as pain in my left knee. I went for months where I was not able to bend my left knee with out pain. At an Inner Idea conference, I told Debbie my story and asked her if she would observe my movement and give me feedback. After the session, she came up to me and said “It is your connective tissue. Focus there and you will heal.” So that is what I did. This simple message lead me on a path of discovery and learning, reading and exploring, movement and magic. Through Nia’s 5 stages of healing, conscious movement and directed therapy I was able to restore fluidity to my connective tissue and “unglued” my iIliotibial (IT) band (a thick connective tissue that runs from the outside of your hip to the outside of your knee). The pain in my knee vanished and I regained 90% range of motion in my knee. The exploration and healing continues!

Everything is connected. The structure and function of all parts and the body as a whole are supported by connective tissue. I see my connective tissue as my guardian angel within that is dedicated to giving me form and freedom of movement as I Dance Through Life. It is a dance of loosening and tightening, sound and silence, mobility and agility, strength and flexibility, opening and surrendering, volume up/down, fast and slow, sinking and rising, hard and soft, masculine and feminine, Martial Arts, Dance Arts and Healing Arts; and it is through awareness that I discover where there is pain and pleasure so I can play with theses dynamics to bring my body to homeostasis. Stability and Peace. I move on this earth with dynamic ease knowing the potential I have for unlimited ways to shape/reshape my body through my awareness of the connections inside. ...”balance of movement and awareness, it becomes both a vehicle of dynamic expression and a support for all the other systems and movement qualities.” Wisdom of the Body Moving, Page 291.

So when I found myself recently with plantar fasciitis after my boot was removed from my metatarsal break, I knew I would be able to heal myself. Yes I was scared having to deal with this at the same time I was still healing my broken foot. Nia gave me tools of sensation, self love, patience, movement, and touch. I Am Now self healing....I am a Sensation Scientist and I am becoming body literate. These are the gifts.

As I explore the connections inside, I am awakened to the rhythm of the connective tissue of my thoughts, emotions and spirit. Each of these voices connect to my body as a sensation, and I am connecting in loving ways that bring healing, pleasure, and connection to my purpose in life.  Shaping Consciousness!

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous Joanie! Love your blog and am especially drawn to being "awakened to the rhythm of the connective tissue of my thoughts, emotion and spirit."

    Thank you!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanie,
    I love this line: " I like to visualize my connective tissue as this beautiful piece of fabric that weaves within my body, surrounding my organs, bones, muscles and cells with a protective covering that makes me feel loved and safe."

    Indeed! And now I will love to visualize this beautiful fabric in my own body as well.

    Great blog. Keep going!
    xo, Julianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooloveit. Shaping Consciousness....beautifully clear simple and purposeful!

    InJoy,
    Debbie P.

    ReplyDelete